Posted by: sandy serraf | 2009-07-17

My 17 year old son forces the distance between his legs through stretching while sitting. he also does very high kicks for tae kwon do. I am afraid if he is not careful he will damage his tesicles or groin or something

Hi Sandy

There's not really much benefit to forcing stretches, so that's a practice I'd try to discourage, though it sounds as though he may need it for tae kwon do. The danger is a muscle strain, which can happen. The catch 22 is that if he doesn't stretch, but continues to do the kicks, then he might tear the muscle. But if he is continues to stretch too much, then it might do the same. All in all, I don't think it's that big a problem. Provided he is keeping a routine, and doesn't suddenly jump off the couch and try to do it then it's OK. Most major muscle tears happen when people are are not accustomed to training suddenly do something hard. He's not doing that, so I think he'll be OK.

Good luck!