Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2009-10-07

Hermaphrodite

Where can a person test if he/she is a hermaphrodite or not if one suspects it ( which type of doctor) . I have a 5 year old son, who i believe is one, He has small testicles, and you can see that its like he has a V-shaped pubic part where his penis is growing as if , if he can hide it he will look as if he has a vagina. I' m worried about this and dont know who to speak to,

At his age is it too late to help him if he realy is.

Dear Jenny
No it is not too late - you can take your son to any pediatrician - they can do his chromosome test with a swab of the cheek or a blood test. They also need to examine his testicles to feel if they are decended in the scrotum. If his chromosomes show that he is a boy and he has testicles, but his penis looks abnormal - this can be fixed with an operation by an urologist - it is not uncommon for boys to be born with abnormal penis where parts of the penis is absent or even with abnormal scrotum that sits next to or above the penis. Even if his testis do not make enough testosterone when he gets older, this is absolutely treatable with supplemental testosterone ( just as diabetics need insulin and people with hypothyroidism need thyroid medication) I think it is important to have him evaluated and treated before he starts school to prevent ridicule from other children. If you don't have a medical aid, ask your doctor to refer him to an academic hospital pediatric clinic.
Keep me posted and let me know if you can't find someone to help you.

1
Posted by: Jenny | 2009-10-08

Thank you, and again thank you, my Good Doctor, you dont how relieved i feel right now.........

Reply to Jenny