Question
Posted by: Michael Richmond | 2010-02-01

Hereditary Hypertension

I am 23 years old and i suffer from hypertension. I am currently taking norvasc 5mg but my blood pressure is still around 140-160/80. All the articles i read tell me to exercise and change my lifestyle. I have always lived a healthy lifestyle and am extremely fit. How can hereditary blood pressure be lowered to a safer level so that i dont have to worry about the negative affects of hypertension. I am also a pilot so i cannot just take any medication.

Please be so kind to assist me. Thank you

Hallo Michael
If you eat right ( see http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf) and exercise, and your cholesterol is under control, and your blood pressure is still high, the only other thing you can do is to use blood pressure medication and there are plenty available that are safe to use for pilots ( ACE inhibitors, beta blockers, calcium channel blockers and Angiotensin II receptor antagonists). Just remember that you should have your blood pressure regularly taken after 5 minutes rest and when you are relaxed. The average blood pressure over 5-6 readings determine whether you need to change medication or not. 140/80 is borderline, but more than 140 average means that your medication needs to be adjusted.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-02-01

Hallo Michael

Reply to cyberdoc