Posted by: CTMum | 2009-04-21

hereditary bladder problems ?

My late mother and my gran' s sister both had bladder problems. It was all hush hush and not discussed and I am not sure what they had except that my gran' s sister had an external urine bag. It was thought - at one point - that my mum would have to go that route. But then she had two or three major operations over a number of years. I know she gained alot of weight and it depressed her alot. She kept in quite a secret.

My question is - my 37 year old sister and myself are both prone to bladder infections. She has been on antibiotics a few times and I have once. Are bladder problems hereditary ? And what should we be doing to avoid any problems later in life ?
Many thanks

It sounds like there may have been a structural abnormality in your mother and aunt. It does not sound like you have this, though it may be worth having a kidney scan.