Question
Posted by: Tina | 2008/06/24

Herbalife

I am a 29 year old female looking to lose about 6kgs.

I was thinking of starting on a herbalife program. It seems that it provides enough nutrition etc for a 'healthy' diet.

Two questions:
1- what is your take on meal replacements? Is this a good idea or should I just stick to a balanced diet

2 - diet without exersice?? Will it work? Can you loose weight without exersice. I am asking as i don't think the herbalife diet provides enough energy to sustain an exersice program.

Your advise is appreciated.

Dear Tina
I am not opposed to the use of slimming meal replacement products as such unless the following applies: a) they are not balanced as this can lead to deficiencies, b) if their energy content per serving is more than 1/3 of your daily energy requirement when slimming, i.e. 8400/3 = 2800 kJ per serving as this would then counteract your attempts to lose weight. One problem that many people experience when they use only meal replacements to lose weight is that they get very bored with this regimen, so you may want to use the meal replacement for one or 2 meals a day and still eat a balanced meal once a day. It is possible to lose weight without exercising, but using a balanced slimming diet and exercise is still by far the most successful recipe. Daily exercise not only promotes weight loss, but has also been shown to help slimmers stick to their diets and gives you a 'lift' because it produces chemicals called endorphins so you don't get the slimmers blues.