Posted by: Katherine | 2012-09-28

Herbal meds

I have been through a rather heartbreaking break-up and am finding it difficult to focus and get on with work etc. I had some herbal tranquilisers that I found at Clicks and they helped for a day or so to the take the edge off, as well as rescue tablets and Tissue salts for anxiety. I have been struggling to sleep and am still very upset. The pharmasist I saw yesterday suggested I try St John''s Wart to help me relax and cope better. I was just wondering how safe this supplement is as I have heard some strange things about it, such as that your skin turns green from sun exposure? Not too sure how severe that is! Aslo I am on medictaion to help lower my cholesterol and I am on medication for hyperacidity (Nexium). Will this herbal supplement interfere with these medications at all/
Thank-you for your time

St John's Wart does have interactions with prescription medication and I therefore, suggest that you do not use it. Rather consult your doctor for a prescription for an antidepressant, like Cilift. This product has a good safety profile and is used to treat mild depression and anxiety disorder.