Question
Posted by: Susie | 2009/10/27

Herbal Meds

Hi CS,

I am currently on 7,5mg Remeron and 10mg Urbanol per day. I am going the the Kruger Park soon. I am thinking of taking herbal anti-malaria medication. I am just not sure if it is safe to do so together with the Remeron and Urbanol.

Can you advise me please? Thank you.

Always remember that "herbal" remedies generally avoid the important phase of scientific research to show ( a ) that they work usefully, (b) that they are safe, and (c) that they are safe in combination with other commonly used meds. So the real answer is - we don't know. I don't know of good evidence that any herbal anti-malarial meds work at all in preventing malaria, and rather doubt it. I don't know what their active chemical components are, and how they would interact with otjher drugs of any sort.

1