Posted by: Debbie | 2010-07-11

Hepititis A

My 18 year old son has Hepitits A. I have been told that he can never have alcohol in his life again as this would do more damage to the liver. Is this true?

Hepatitis A is a viral infection that infiltrates the cells of the liver. This can cause severe chronic damage to these cells and thus severely impair the breakdown of alcohol. Hepatitis A can take up to six months to heal. It is a faecal oral transmission and good hygiene, as well as frequent washing of the hands, will prevent spreading of this disease. Alcohol should totally be avoided for at least a period of one year after the disease appeared.

Rather consult your doctor to do tests to establish if it is possible that after the first initial year, he will be able to consume alocohol.