Question
Posted by: mandy | 2008/08/12

hepititis

my female boerboel has hepititis (dog illness). I lost 9 puppies due to that last year. It should not be wise for her to have babies again. or for me for that matter, (i lost a lot off weight with mourning after them). So I can' t fix her at this moment for financial reasons and i still owe the Vet money from the puppies ( i' m still paying off). So I heard that you can give your dog the female contraceptive injection. is that correct?

Dear Mandy

The injection is called Delvosterone and can be given to prevent a next season. Works best to give before season starts. Do not use over and over again as this can cause uterus infection.

The only problem is that your vet will prob charge you a consult fee and for the inj. So you're looking at a +\- R200 bill to start with.

3
Posted by: mandy | 2008/08/13

thanx WR that is great news. I will find out more about that.

Reply to mandy
Posted by: WR | 2008/08/12

Hi Mandy.

Hepatitis or Herpes? Signs of Herpes - dark red/ brown rash around the puppy' s belly/ belly button. My bitch also had Herpes with her first litter, and I lost 7 form 9. You get a vac that you inject on mating and then again 10 days before her due day. R250 a pop. Second litter was 9/9 - BEEG fat and healthy.

Ciao!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/12

Can' t you approach the SPCA to help you spay the dog?

Also, do you maybe mean distemper? That' s often known as ' hondesiekte'  or dog illness.

You can get a contraceptive injection for dogs but in fact it' s not always terribly good for them, and definitely not as a long-term solution.

If you' ll post your whereabouts, maybe someone can recommend a place where you can have her spayed cheaply or even for free.

Reply to Chill