Question
Posted by: Merle | 2011-11-14

Hepatitis B

Dear Doctor
I have recently found out one of my family members suffers from Hepatitis B. He has chosen to go the alternative route. I will be in his and his family''s company in two weeks for a family reunion which will involve lots of contact (greetings and hand shakes). I have done some research on the condition and besides for the danger of leaving this condition untreated it is also very contagious. What are my chances of getting infected (am petrified of kissing them) and would it be to my benefit to get a vaccination. Am am short of cancelling my attendance because of this but also do not want to offend the family.

Looking forward to your response.

Merle

Hepatitis B viruses cannot be spread by casual contact, such as holding hands, sharing eating utensils or drinking glasses, breast-feeding, kissing, hugging, coughing, or sneezing. Hepatitis B is more a blood and sexual transmitted disease.