Posted by: Kristel | 2009-04-07

hepatitis A

My mom has been diagnosed with cancer and starts chemo on 26 April. I have to travel to her home at the coast on Thursday, 8 April to see her as she is very sick and Drs. do not think that I should postpone a visit. However, my sister and brother in law, whom she lives with, has contracted hepatitis A. I am as far as I know immune, as I had hepatitis A approximately 15 years ago. My husband and children are not immune. I will not stay in the same house as them, but desperately want to visit my mom. Can I still contract the virus, even if I am very careful, sterilize my hands and clothes and body after the visit and still have a danger of infecting my family? Please help.

Dear Kristel
Hepatitis A is transferred with food, drink and unwashed hands. Just be careful to wash your hands and to use throwaway towels. It may be good to do a test to see if you have antibodies - if you do, you won't be able to infect your family and you will also not get infected.