Posted by: Sands | 2011-06-28

Hi, my brothers child has been sick for almost two weeks, and they were unable to find out what was wrong with him. On Sunday they visited, and he had a slight yellow colour. On Monday he was diagnosed with Hepatitis A. My children do go to the same school, and they had contact on sunday by means of a hug and handshake. Do I need to take them to get injected for the Hepatits virus? If so, will I be able to get it done at a chemist such as Dischem?

Hepatitis A is transmitted by the fecal-oral route, which means that general hygiene will prevent spreading of Hepatitis A. Frequent washing of the hands, especially after visiting the toilet etc, are good measures to prevent the transmission of Hepatitis A.

The vaccine which is available at your pharmacy, travel clinic or your doctor, will prevent 95% of people from future infection.

Posted by: Lyn | 2011-06-28

HI there I had Hep A several years ago. You can get an injection, I think it is called gamma globulin. It assists the immune system but is not like a vaccination against Hepatitis.
Hep A is not like the others - there are not long term affects. The symptoms wane after 2 - 3 weeks. I was very sick for about 6 weeks.
It is from contaminated food - faeces on the food to be exact. Stay away from uncooked products in restaurants like salads because if the chefs have not washed their hands after using the toilet the food is easily contaminated
I took a lot of Vitamin B and ate fruit (couldnt eat much) as well as biostrath - this helped with recovery

Reply to Lyn