Question
Posted by: Louis Rutherford | 2010/09/02

Hemiarthoplasty

I am a 63yr old male and recently had the above op to my right shoulder and have been told that some muscles have come off at the turbosities and that I have no rotator cuff.
However, when I exercise without gravity I am able to make most movements with my arm which I can''t subsequently do with gravity eg comb my hair or reach out to take a parking ticket.
Will I eventually be able to make most movements with gravity, such as combing my hair or reaching out of the car window for a parking ticket, or will this always be a problem?
Also, will the loose muscles ever be able to re-grow onto the bone? Many thanks,Louis.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Dear Louis, if your rotator cuff has come off the tuberosity the muscles/tendons will not re-attach to the tuberosity. We usually do a "reverse prosthesis" for a shoulder where there is arhritis and an absent rotator cuff- the reverse prosthisis is is specifically designed for such problems ( sounds that it is the situation in your case). It may well be that the surgeon thought that there was a contraindication to implant such a prosthesis in your shoulder, I will not know

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/09/03

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum