Question
Posted by: Charne | 2011/09/22

Helpless @ weightloss

I am a 27 year old mom of 3 and I weigh 61-62kg (1.58m)
I know that I am not OBESE, but I look nowhere near the way that I''d like to look (I have NEVER been " thin"  or " toned" ) I have my sister in law telling me that I am " so thin" , but she weights almost 90kg! I hate the way I look, but I have never seemed to have the self belief to lose the weight. I know that EVERYONE in the world in the world that is fat, is so because they CHOSE to be, whether it be consciously or sub-consciously. I would give ANYTHING to be able to live in a perfect body for just ONE day! I am not " dying to be thin"  as in anorexic, but I would like to be toned and not have any fat bulges over my jeans. Why am I stopping my-self from being in shape, and would seeing a Councillor help?

Check with your doctor if there is any genuine reason to believe you might be over or under weight, and make it clear you won't rely on the non-expert opinion of a sister-in-law.
It is of course nonsense to believe that everyone who is fat has chosen to be ( and the unconscious doesn't really exist ), or indeed that everyone who is thin has chosen to be thin - there are many posible causes for such a situation.
If you do need to lose weight, see a good nutrionist, and get on a good diet and exercise plan, not one of the schemes which make so much money because they don't work ( if they really worked so reliably, they could offer a money-back guarantee ! ).
I would never recommend that ANYONE EVER follow the advice of Dr Phil, especially not on medical and nutrition matters, where he has no qualifications whatsoever. Not that his eccentric psychological methods are that well substantiated, either. I think he markets unproven and un-useful dietary products - that guy is a marketing and entertainment phenomenon, NOT a serious health provider or expert on any aspect of health
And a Racoon poins out, technically you are not overweight. Your sister-in-law is over-opinionated.

6

Posted by: Racoon | 2011/09/23

Hi Charne

Your BMI is 25 which is normal, but at the top end of normal, so you are indeed not overweight. I am also a mom of 3 (youngest 1 year) and I only got my mind round to losing weight about 3 months ago and that was kick-started after my cholesterol measured a bit higher than normal! My BMI was also 31, so a very different situation to yours. Before the kids I my BMI was 23!! so I put on an unhealthy amount of weight in 5 years time, mainly during breastfeeding. I joined Weighless 4 months ago and have so far managed to effortlessly lose 8 kg, but I have another 9 kg to go. The reason Weighless seems to work is because you have to own up each week at the weigh-in - that is enough to motivate one to keep going. So maybe that could be something for you?? On the other hand, after kids one shouldn''t look at weight anymore, but rather at clothing sizes - do you still fit into you pre-kids clothes? if yes, then stop fussing about your weight.

Reply to Racoon
Posted by: Zexeon | 2011/09/23

I also don''t think people choice to be fat or thin. My daughter is a bit taller than you and eats burgers, coke, chocolates anything and weighs 48kg and are very unhappy about it cause she want to be 50kg sothat she can donate blood ... I use to have an over active thyroid and maybe she does now. I ate a chocholate and wine last night that wasn''t that healthy and thought I would gain this morning but I''m still another 300g down so its not always dieting that makes you loose weight. Hope you loose the weight you want to. :-)

Reply to Zexeon
Posted by: qwerty | 2011/09/23

I have managed in the last few months to lose a good few kilos by just counting calories. It sounds like a lot of work, and sometimes it is, but if you are aware of what something " costs"  you in terms of calories, you''ll often opt for something else that isn''t so calorific.

There''s a website called myfitnesspal dot com - they also have downloadable apps for smart phones, which is what I am using to track what I eat. (use of the website &  apps is free) It will work out based on your lifestyle, age, gender and current weight how many calories you should be eating everyday in order to lose weight. Don''t expect miracle results overnight, BUT - if you consistently stay under your calorie target every day, you WILL lose the weight. You don''t have to sacrifice your favourite foods - you just have to indulge in moderation. (so not pizza &  burgers on the same day!)

Good luck, you CAN do it!

Reply to qwerty
Posted by: ABC | 2011/09/23

EVERYONE in the world really AREN" T " fat, is so because they CHOSE to be, whether it be consciously or sub-consciously."  You can''t be this naive?
Some people are overweight because of an illness/can''t excercise/disabled.....

Reply to ABC
Posted by: B ig Loser | 2011/09/22

Hi. I have been following " The 17 day diet"  (dr Phil) get the book from the CNA.

Its wonderful AND it works !!!!! Just don''t be in a hurry. The results are fantastic and you never seem to crave anything, nor do you feel hungry.

I have done many diets and none of them compare. Go for it and get the body you want. Good luck

Reply to B ig Loser