Question
Posted by: supergirl | 2008/08/19

help...iv gained 11kgs

hi im a compulsive eater when im stressed,anxious i just eat iv gained 11kgs im 22yrs old and used to weigh 57kg and i dont know how to get rid of it.. im depressed which makes life worse but my biggest problem is eating. how would i overcome this eating problem it needs to stop because im loseing myself. please can you advice me on what to do..

Dear Supergirl
If you eat because of stress and anxiety you first need to learn better coping techniques. So I would recommend that you consult a clinical psychologist to assist you in getting control of your life and using other methods to defuse anxiety. In addition your can reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 or more minutes a day. The exercise is important because it not only helps you lose weight, but also relaxes you when you are tense.