Posted by: josh | 2008-11-03

help...feeling tired after training.

hey doc,

i need your help pls. im currenlty training pretty hard and as a result im continually feeling tired. i do weights 5 times a week and im also training for 94.7 and a mini triathlon. so as you can see im quite a busy man. im using protein, creatine, a recovery drink from muscle science and a multi vit, yet i still feel tired. ive found that if i have an energy drink, ie redbull or the likes of, after a hectic session it helps me with energy. what do you think i could do to help with my lack of energy and feeling tired?

by the way...ive lost over 5kg' s in 6 weeks from all the cycling, so could that be playing a role?

thanks for the help.

Hi Josh

I think you need to look at your diet. Forget about supplements and fancy proteins and all these things, because they're just illusions that distract from the real issue, which is probably your total energy intake per day, and the type of energy you're getting in. It's really important, given your high training volume and intensity, that you are compensating by eating enough, eating the right foods and also eating at the right times - if you get the last part wrong, then you can easily find that your energy levels peak by midday and you run into a later afternoon lull.

The fact that you've lost so much weight in such a relatively short time is a strong indication that your energy intake is just too low - this is not a good situation because it's not sustainable. You need to eat enough to allow you to train, and also, if you don't eat enough, then there's a real chance that your body eventually says "thanks a lot" and simply stops letting you train and lose weight. So it's really vital, and I would suggest that you contact a dietician and have them really go through with you. It's clear that you have very set goals and are very driven, and simply eating will is unlikely to make much impact - you will benefit from detailed assistance that only a dietician can provide.