Question
Posted by: butterfly | 2008/07/17

HELP!11

Good Day,

Wow where do I start, firstly thanks for taking the time to hear me out: I applied for my Medical Aid July of last year 2007, as this was part of my contract......I was given the forms to fill out and I handed them in accordingly. The following month I noticed that my side of the Medical Aid was not deducted from my salary, so I queried it with our so called HR Department and they told me they were in the process of changing brokers but would sort it out the soonest. This became the famous story month after month, and yet nothing had been done. I had done all I could from my side to fill the necessary in, in order for my HR Department to processed. I went in again in January of this year 2008 and told my HR that I was planning to have a baby and that I really need my Medical aid and they said ONCE again that they would sort it out, I asked why it had not been done as yet and they blamed it on the Medical aid brokers that our Company was dealing with and said they were to blame for not following up, on further investigation I found out by the broker this was not so and that our Company (HR) did not send my forms through from the get go. I am now 6 months pregnant and have now gone to the CEO who by the way is the father of our Guy that works in the HR Department, as this is a family run business, he tried getting e on (a little to late) as there is no medical aid that would take me on been 6 months pregnant and in the end my company said they were sorry (nice one) and I am now left to fit the bills, my fiancé and I were planning to get married in November and because he works for a very large Company he was able to get me onto his but we had to get married A.S.A.P in return shattering my dreams of a perfect wedding and we had to go the court route….my Company have pretty much turned there backs on me and have treated my pregnancy as if it is a sin and have made me feel so dirty etc….I am 36 years old and am proud to be having a baby. My point is now they will even pay that portion of my maternity Leave and yes I am aware that they are not obligated but in all fairness I would have thought that they would have come to the party. Is there any way I can clam back for the 10 months that they never contributed towards my medical aid bills and they have pretty much left me hanging out in the cold I was the top employee before I fell pregnant…and just feel they have done me wrong and I need to know what I can do. Also they are only prepared to now pay me there side of my medical aid for July, August and September, as My now husband’s medical aid will cover me a his spouse from July this year…

HELP !!!!!!!!!

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

Wow what a story. Assuming you have all the correspondence as proof, not just verbal, you could try contacting the medical aid ombudsman ( I do not have the contact details). I do fear though that it will be a case of being told that you hold the ultimate responsibility for looking after your affairs despite the reported tardiness of your employer. Good Luck with the Baby!!