Question
Posted by: Ruby | 2011-03-12

Help with Rape Trauma

I have a very close family member who was raped. And ever since the incident took place, I could see how hard it is for her. How do you try to help someone to get over this?

She had a depression history prior to the rape, but now the rape has opened all the old wounds and depression is back. Do I give her some space to work it through on her own?

Or perhaps just always try &  be there for her? If I try &  talk to her about it, she changes the subject. I would really like to help her but don''t know how?

She most probably needs expert professional help, from a good local psychologist, who can adivse on whether she should also see a local psychiatrist for medication in addition to the psychotherapy / counselling that is surely needed. Let her know that you plan to be available for her is and when she wants to talk or needs and support, and be prepared to listen if and when she does need this. But try to persuade her to see someone with the right professional skills to help her get through this ugly experience and its aftermath

2
Posted by: ............. >  | 2011-03-13

Also ARVs if no condom was used.

Reply to ............. &gt