Question
Posted by: Phoebe | 2009-04-02

Help with puppies

Hi doc, i have two questions:

Firstly i have two puppies (4 months old) that are siblings. The female one is now getting very possessive of me and if i go near her brother or pat him while i' m patting her she attacks him and growls and goes mad. This has to stop. How do i stop that sort of behaviour before it gets worse?

Secondly, yhe male puppy only has one testicle, the other one hasn' t dropped yet. How long should i wait before i take him to have it checked out? I heard that it can be cancerous if the other one doesn' t drop?

Thanks so much!

Dear Phoebe

That testicle just needs to come out before about 4 years old.

Always support the most dominant dog. Most people feel sorry for the less dominant dog and pick the dog up, give it more attention etc.... This will cause fighting. Suppot the dominant one and things should start to settle down.