Question
Posted by: Point of no return | 2010/02/16

Help with Marriage

Good Day Doctor,

My partner and I have been together for 8 years, and now are married for 2 years. In the past, I have lied to her in the past about a few things, but have not cheated on her... They are not huge lies, but a lie is a lie.

This weekend I lied to her about telling a friend we were going to movies, and he ended up pitching at the same movie (On Valentines Day), now she is upset, angry, and says she cannot trust me...

I have told her I will never do that again, but she says she doesnt trust me and will never trust me...

I don' t know what to do...

Please help!!!

Definitely not a point of no return unless you both insist on making it that. Mariage counselling is surely what you both need and deserve, to avoid turning a misfortune into an unnecessary disaster

2
Posted by: Maria | 2010/02/16

Find yourself a good counsellor who can help you explore why you lie, and work with you to come up with strategies to avoid doing so. Then see the counsellor together with your wife to work on building up the trust again. Remember the only way to win someone' s trust is to be trustworthy. Take care.

Reply to Maria