Posted by: Cams | 2009-01-13

Help with IBS

I' ve been diagnosed with IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) and are sometimes afraid to eat beacuse of flair-ups. (My tummy runs for a day or more) I' m overwieght and would like to lose some weight. The majority of my weight is around my mid section. I went of red meat 6 days ago. I started with a new supplement called Culturelle all in 1. Would you be able to assit with a eating plan that will best help my condition?

Dear Cams
I am sorry to hear that you have IBS which can be a difficult condition to live with. I do not have a specific slimming diet on this Website for patients suffering from IBS, so I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to take your IBS and foods that trigger your diarrhoea into account when working out a weight reduction diet for you. For additional information about IBS click on ‘Diet’, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. The Culturelle All in 1 should improve your condition.
When you have your slimming diet also consider including daily exercise to promote weightloss. For example going for brisk walks for 30 or more min a day and doing situps to target your abdominal fat.