Posted by: andrà©  | 2009-06-05

help with hemiplegia shoulder

Dr, my wife had a stroke 2yrs ago. She has constant pain in her shoulder. We can' t find a dr who we trust to help her. We live in South Africa. Do you know of a dr who knows how to work with hemiplegic shoulders and do you have any suggestions. PLEASE my wife can' t bear the pain anymore. Thank you

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear andrA,

one of the most important causes of shoulder pain in the hemiplegic person is spasm of the subscapularis muscle of the shoulder which can cause severe pain. I usually inject the muscle with local anaesthesia and if the pain subsides I then inject Botox into the muscle which will lead to relaxation of the muscle for a few months and often good pain relief. You may not know but Botox is essentially a muscle relaxant with a working action for about 12 weeks. Often, after doing the injections once or twice the problem subsides for a long period

if you want to contact us directly for more information you may visilt our website :

Dr Joe de Beer