Posted by: Starlight | 2010-10-19

Help with exercise

Dear doctor
I''ve changed by lifestyle since February 2009 and with the assitance of my doctor, lost 61kg. (I''ve been overweight for many years)
Now I have lots of energy and feel great! But I need to shape my body.
I have started to exercise. Take a 3km walk during my lunch time. My concern is that I am not tired after the walk. Does it mean it will work in the long run? I''ve read you have to speed up your heartbeat. My walk takes me 30minutes.
What exercise can I do to work on the excess skin....operation the answer?
Many thanks

Good for you, 61kg is an amazing effort, and if you've done that medically, then that's magnificent!

I think the fact that you're not tired is a sign that you have reached something of a plateau in your FITNESS level. I'm a big believer in focusing on fitness as a means to achieve weight loss and health, and so I do think that if you can challenge yourself by walking faster, or longer, then you'll see continued progress.

So I would say that it might be time to start introducing some jogging into those 30 minutes - not the entire time, but maybe 2 or 3 minutes out of every 10 minutes just to raise the intensity. We know that if you do this, the total energy burned is much higher, and that pays off in the long term as weight loss.

So that's my suggestion - start running. You might check out the running programmes on the "Fitness page" of this site for some targets, like 5km in 10 weeks, for example.