Posted by: Kiral | 2009-03-09

Help with colon please

I have a digestive disorder of some kind, but I don' t know what it is exactly. It has yet to be correctly diagnosed, and in the meantime, I am going mad with an illness that I don' t know how to treat.

I am a 26 year old female, with a small 56kg frame. I am extremely fit, and exercise daily (albeit in pain, but I have to). I am very health conscious. The problem? I can' t eat. When I eat, it' s guaranteed that within five minutes, my colon will swell up and it looks like I am carrying triplets. I get extreme spasms. My colon sounds like it is full of liquid, sloshy, yet feels hard all the time if I press on it. It constantly feels full, like there is a blockage in it. I have terrible constipation. If I eat, within a minute I start hearing gurgling and bubbling, and my colon feels like a washing machine. Soon after, I start getting bloated, and then the gas comes. It feels like the food has just dropped down my gullet, bypassed the processes in the stomach, and fallen straight into the bubbling cauldron of my colon, where it begins to ferment, and then the food just deposits itself somewhere along the passage and sits there, backing things up even further.
Laxatives don' t help. They just worsen the spasms.
High fibre foods don' t help.
Massage doesn' t help.
A colonic irrigation didn' t help.

I went to see one of our country' s top gastroenterologists. He diagnosed a hiatus hernia, saying that my valves weren' t functioning correctly, and so stomach acid was leaking into my colon and causing a reaction when I ate. Fine. He gave me some meds and a diet. Things were going well for a few weeks, and I thought my problems were a thing of the past. I felt like I had a new lease on life.

I have been suffering for the past 6 years, I would say. When it started, I thought I had a " spastic colon" . It' s the term that was carried over fom my mother. She has had a wonky colon for years too, and the GP said it was hereditary, and was exacerbated by my stress-prone personality. It would act up intermittently, and it felt manageable by popping a Bevispas or other anti-spasmodic when I had colon spasms. It would bloat, but I seemed to be able to fart all the gas out, and the next morning, I would wake up with a clean slate, and flat tummy, a chance to right the wrongs of the previous day and hope for a pain-free today.
About a year ago, the symptoms got worse. I began to believe that I might have a food allergy, and I cut out wheat, which seemed to have the greatest reaction. But that didn' t stop the cramps, bloating and discomfort. Four months ago, it had gotten so bad, I was scared to eat or go out in public, for fear of the stress associated with bloating and needing to fart all the time. That' s when I went to the gasto. After all the scopes, and his diagnosis, things getting better was like a dream come true, a taste of what a normal life could be.

So now that things are worse than they have ever been before, I am at the end of my tether. I am constantly swollen and bloated. I am constipated, with no relief. I feel heavy and lethargic. All my other organs are starting to moan under the strain too. The gas doesn' t go away. My bladder feels full, pressed on. My colon just bubbles away all day long, doesn' t stop. I have visions of it brewing and stewing, until eventually it just bursts, with all that clogged-up waste having nowhere else to go. I am depressed and foggy. This thing is affecting every other sphere of my life. Because my colon can' t move, I am stuck too. I am sore, unhappy, hungry.

Conventional and alternative medicine hasn' t been able to help. I have had the medicines, the therapies, the diets.

Expert ImageNatural health

i can suggest acupuncture to assist you and have a full consultation with a registered practitioner like a homoepath to get a proper case study.

you can try Iberogast (available from pharmacies) for you digestive system.
Dr Debbie

Posted by: Bubbles | 2009-04-02

Hi, I have been in the same boat as you for the past 3 years, with symptoms worsening over time. The past 4 days I have been on the eating plan from I havent felt this good in a very long time, my abdomnen is much flatter and I pass a lot less gas. You can downlowd 4 days of meal plans for free. I really hope this good feeling lasts, it sounds too good to be true. The meals are also net difficult to follow and is based on the correct food combinations. Good luck!!

Reply to Bubbles