Question
Posted by: Jane | 2010/05/19

help with brother

Good day

I have a brother in his late 30s whom me and my family are very concerned about. He has been diagnosed as having depression and anxiety and is on medication for it under guidance of a psychiatrist. However, clearly this is not helping as he is still not employed (thus my parents support him), has gained tons of weight and at times appears almost delusional about where he is in life. As you can imagine we are all very concerned and at our wits'' end. We just want him to go to work and be a healthy productive person, but we don''t feel that simply medicating him is the answer. He has been for therapy but this doesn''t seem to help him to self-actualise and motivate himself to do something more with his life. We are now considering a life coach, which we are still not sure if that is the best option, but we just want someone to help him actually get going rather than feed into his issues. Any help would be appreciated.

As I said the last time this message was posted, it's important to discuss this with his treating doc, as maybe a different antidepressant might suit him better - and drugs alone are rarely the best solution. Counselling of the CBT form ( and SADAG, number on this page ) could help you find someone providing this, can help him revise his unhelpfully negative habits of thought. If is practical, active, and gets HIM to be actively involved in finding and testing solutions.
I am not convinced that any other variety of counselling would help ( none has the quantity of good research showing efficacy which CBT has ) ; and am sceptical about Life Coaches generally, as their actual training and skills ( if any ) seem unreliable. I'm sure there are some good guys out there, and also others whose ability to be genuinely helpful must be in doubt.

2
Posted by: Jane | 2010/05/19

Thank you for your help, although I''m not sure what you mean by " the last time this message was posted"  as I have not posted anything on this site before and you must be confusing me with someone else.

I understand your sceptism regarding life coaches, we are just getting desperate. I will contact the SADAG and see what they suggest.

Reply to Jane