Question

Help with a Friend

Hi Dr

Please help me with a friend' s problem. We are both males in our late 20' s, myself and all our other friends are married, or attached. My friend is still single. In fact he has never a had a girlfriend before. I see that he is very hard on himself, and is not very confident of himself. People really like him as he is a very nice person, and always helpful, kind etc. When we query with him about him being single, he says he doesn' t mind it, it doesn' t bother him. But I see that when we have gatherings, I can see/sense that he does feel out of place and uncomfortable. When we go out clubbing, he would normally sit by himself while we dance etc. He is also too shy to go and chat to women.

How can I get him to be happy with who he is, to be more confidant in himself. He really is a nice person and looks after himself, he is tidy and organised, I want to see him happy like we are.

There can be many reasons why someone doesn't have a gf, including the fact that some people simply enjoy being by themselves. But a common reason is low self-esteem, being hard on oneself, and being shy and uncomfortable socially. He may feel comfortale when with the guys, but shy with girls. He doessound like a very nice person, and he's lucky to have a caring and thoughtful friend like you. He can certainly be helped, and counselling can help him learn to like himself more, feel more confident, and able to mix with and enjoy the company of women and indeed of anyon else.

3
Posted by: Liza | 2009-05-15

I had a colleague who was an absolute homophobe until he accepted that he was gay himself. Just because he doesn' t like gay people doesn' t mean that he isn' t gay himself. He may be in denial. Also he might point out beautiful women just because he appreciates their beauty in a objective way.

Whether he is straight or gay doesn' t really matter in the end. He will need counseling in either case and be happier for it.

HTH
Liza

Reply to Liza

No, he is definantly not gay, I have been friends with him for 17 odd years, and he always points out beautiful women to me. He actually doesn' t like gay people at all.

This he has to sort out himself. Just support him in what every decision he makes. He might be gay for all you know and fighting it. Do not judge, just support.