Posted by: Want to be there | 2009-03-08

Help understand Bipolar

I would like to understand. My wife of 2 years (she 25, i' m 40) has had depression since she was about 15 (diagnosed by a GP) We live in a small town with only a couple of GP' s. Just before the wedding she' s been told that she has Bipolar Mood Disorder and was using Lamictin. About a month ago she went to see a well known doc in the filed of Bipolar etc and was told after about 20mins that she has Severe Rapid Bipolar Mood Disorder and put on Epilim, but she also uses the Lamictin (200mg Lamictin and 200mg Epilim in the morning and 200mg Epilim at night). I can' t keep up with her mood swings and we argue almost constantly as there is nothing that I can do that is right in her eyes. I want to be there for her, but can only take so much. If it wasn' t for our baby boy (15 months) I would have left already. I would like to find out more about BMD and what to do to be more supportive of her.

Bipolar Mood Disordr is now a well-recognized and accepted concept ( broadly, what used to be called Manic Depressive Disorder ). Because it is a complex and varied condition, there are a number of other sub-classiicaions and descriptions used by people who deal with it a great deal, though these have not all been widely accepted or standardized so far. IN many Bipolar Disorders, the shifts of mood are relatively slow and longer-lasting ; some are called "Rapid-Cycling" in that the changes are more rapid.
The Anxiety-Depression Support Group (number on this page ) may be able to help you find a local support group that can help you meet with others coping with these problems. And ask to see her psychiatrist for a detailed explanation of HER Bipolar Disorder, and how you could help --- and the psychiatrist should also work with her on how she can be more bearable to be with, and more helpable. And yes, it doesn't sound as though the psychiatrist working with ehr has yet found the right combination or doses of meds to control her mood swings.
I wonder whether this apparent worsening of the disorder may be related to the relatively recent childbith, as the hormonal swings of pregnancy and birth can readily complicate mood disorders

Posted by: also | 2009-03-09

Investigate suppliments for your wife to take along with the medication - such as fish oils (EPA) and magnesum and zinc this will help (for example magnesum is a well known mood stablizer and was used years ago before the psych meds were invented/stumbled upon)

Reply to also
Posted by: T | 2009-03-09

Hi there,
If she is still experiencing mood swings, then she should go and see a psychiatrist. I don' t think her meds are working for her. I still haven' t found the right meds combination for my BMD. We have been battling to get it right for 3yrs now. Living with someone who has bipolar is very difficult, I know.
Get her to a doc to check out her meds again.
Good luck!

Reply to T