Question
Posted by: Ryan | 2011/08/18

Help! Toning

Hi, I really hope you, or anyone here, will be able to give me some good, solid advice which I can incorporate ito my gym routine! I''m 28yo male, 174cm and weigh 80kg. I was always very skinny which led me to start gym and lead a healthier lifestyle. About 6 years on, I now feel like I have achieved the " bulk"  that I wanted. However, I do feel like I got a bit too big and now I am not so sure how to approach my training routine in order to keep what I have but TONE and DEFINE more. Also with getting older seems the love handles are getting bigger too! I dont have a desire to look too big and muscular but rather more defined. At the moment I am training 4-5tiimes a week for +-1hour + 30min cardio. I try do research on this but there are so many different opinions out there and a lot of times they all contradict each other, which leaves me somewhat despondent:-( . Looking forward to hearing your advice  -)

Hi Ryan

Sorry for the delay replying - it's been a crazy couple of weeks.

I think the key to changing the training is just to cut back on the weights and do more cardio. The bulk you achieved is the result of the weight training, and that comes from using heavier weights. Now, with your change in focus, what you'd need to do is cut down on the weight, go lighter but with more reps. And do it less often. Swap that ratio around - 30 min weights, 1 hour cardio.

That will also help with the love handles too, because that's just a consequence of storage of excess energy. So you might want to look at the diet here too, and make sure that your energy intake is not too large. This is a problem as we get older, that we store energy as fat and the only way around this is to manage energy in (diet) and energy out (exercise).

So my advice is to focus on the cardio, but in your weight sessions, go lighter, even as much as 50% lighter, but do a lot more reps.

2
Posted by: Ryan | 2011/09/12

Hi Fitnessdoc
Thanks for the reply and advice- finally a plan I think will work!

Reply to Ryan
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/09/04

Hi Ryan

Reply to fitnessdoc