Question
Posted by: Charmaine | 2008/10/21

HELP PLEASE - save me from my M.I.L.

Hi there,
I know everyone wants to lose weight fast, but I don' t mind losing it gradually, like 1kg a month or so. But one problem... my mother in law is coming to visit in less than 2 weeks!! And she really is a mean old thing, 55 years old but she looks 30, and probably weighs about... 50kg. So really, she' s built like Madonna. And she just loves making snide remarks... I' ve picked up a bit of weight recently. I just weighed myself - almost 70kgs!!!!! O heavens, I almost feinted when I saw that number! My ideal weight is 50kg, that is when I' m healthy and not too skinny. I know there' s no way in hell I can lose 20kg in less than 2 weeks, but I' m really hoping to lose at least 5kg! I barely fit into any of my clothes, how could I let myself go like this :( Please help! I need to lose weight!!

Dear Charmaine
I hear what you are saying and wish I could post that mother-in-law to outer Mongolia for you. However, there is not much you can do in 2 weeks and it is not going to help to starve yourself for a quick fix because even if you do lose those 5 kg you will still be overweight and she will still make those remarks. I think you need to outsmart her first. Use reverse psychology. Before she can even open her mouth, grab her and "pour out your heart - tell her how dreadful you feel, how you can't handle the fact that you are fat (yes say the dreaded word), that you are frantic, that you are contemplating getting anorexic, etc" - and take the wind out of her sails! From a psychological point of view anyone who is aiming to hurt you, will have their attack switched off if you, as the victim say even more dreadful things about yourself than she ever would! Wait and see if she at some stage doesn't come to your rescue! I have tried this technique with great success. For example when a critical 'significant other' had told me I have done something wrong, I agree and the pile on the horror - saying just how bad and stupid I am. You will be surprised how well this works! The attacker often turns into the supporter and start finding excuses why you did something wrong, etc. While she is with you, you will need to pretend that you are trying to starve yourself (have some food when she is not looking). Then when the dragon has left, you go on a well balanced low-fat diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) every day for 30 min or more until you have lost those 20 kg in your own time.
I know this sounds wacky, but give it a try and see if you can't outsmart the Madonna-look-alike!
Holding thumbs that this tactic works - it can be great fun to outsmart someone who is trying to make you look inadequate!

2
Posted by: Gogga | 2008/10/22

You rock, DietDoc! That' s the best advice I' ve seen or heard in a long time!

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Bravo | 2008/10/22

Bravo DietDoc!!!
Charmine remember we are not all the same!
Some are skinny and some not at all!!

Reply to Bravo