Question
Posted by: TJ | 2012/03/08

Help Please

Hi there,
I have recently started training with a personal trainer and changed to a high protein eating plan. My trainer had warned me saying that I would be quite sore as I would be tearing into the muscle fiber and so on. I drink two Whey Protein shakes everyday, religiously take a tsp of Glutamine after every session, sometimes before bed as well as Aminogen tabs, stretch as often as possible too. I am training three times a week but this past week I am in serious pain and dreading Fridays session. Can anyone suggest any other tips to bring relief to the muscle strain??

Hi TJ

I think you're probably training too hard if you're not recovering. I'd also be very worried about whether you're replacing the energy, because one of the things on a high protein diet is that they tend to be very low in energy. The result is that our bodies don't recover, and i think this may be part of your problem. I'm not a fan of a low-carbohydrate diet for someone who is training hard, and that's probably what you're eating. I think you need to increase the carbs in the diet (not processed, sugary carbs, but refined ones). There is another upside to this - the carbs help the protein get into the muscle, so it's a complex interaction. And I suspect all these supplements and pills and things are not helping at all, the problem is that you're under-eating, and then training too hard. So it's an increase in one area, and a decrease in the training intensity - tell the PT, he has to make the adjustment if you're not adapting, and if he can't do this, then you need a new PT!

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/03/17

Hi TJ

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Mommy | 2012/03/08

Rest. I also train with a personal trainer and he never let me overtrain my muscles. He exercise different muscle groups each day and I also has a rest day in the week.

Reply to Mommy