Question
Posted by: Royi | 2011/02/10

help please

At my son''s creche they brouhgt an audiologist for hearing screening yesterday. The report for my son(5 yr) it says he has got excessive wax on his left ear,
the right ear is fine. They suggested I must take him to the Dr to remove the wax. What kind of Dr do I take him to? Will a GP do? and what could have caused this excessive wax on one ear?

Hallo Royi
You can take him to your GP, but get some Waxol from the pharmacy and put a few drops in his L Ear for three nights before your appointment. Often the Waxol will soften the wax and it will come out by itself, but sometimes your doctor will need to remove it by rinsing the ear. Using earbuds irritates the ear canal and causes more wax forming, it also pushes the wax to the back of the ear canal causing a wax plug. One need not clean deep into the ear, just wiping the outside of the ear with a wet facecloth is more than enough. The ear canal is self cleaning.
See http://www.medinfo.co.uk/conditions/earwax.html

3
Posted by: Royi | 2011/02/10

Hi Candi

Thanks for the response,I''m in Pretoria

Reply to Royi
Posted by: Candi | 2011/02/10

U can take him to a ENT (ear, nose and throwt (sp) specialist)
Its quick to do! My son went now afew weeks ago!
What area are you in?

Reply to Candi
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/10

Hallo Royi