Question
Posted by: ME | 2010/03/03

Help please

I have used Reductil last year and lost 16 kg with the help of a diet. I have now stopped to take the reductil since December as I''m trying to fall pregnant. I have picked up 5 kg in the last 2 months. I have pcos and hashimoto''s disease. I''m taking glucophage to help with the pcos and falling pregnant and also using Eltroxin. What can I do to keep my weight down? Please help me

Dear Me
Congratulations on losing those 16 kg - well done! To counteract your PCOS and prevent weight gain it is essential that you do 2 things: a) Use a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet and b) do 30 or more minutes of aerobic exercise every day. Ideally you need to consult a dietitian for the low-GI diet. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight, PCOS and Hashimoto's disease, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. The exercise is as important as the diet, so get active - go for brisk walks or start skipping or join a good gym and stimulate your metabolism every day.
Holding thumbs that you fall pregnant

1

Dear Me
Holding thumbs that you fall pregnant