Question
Posted by: Snail | 2010-03-01

Help please

Hi There,

I need advice. I am over the age of 18 left the house at the age of 15 and started working to earn money to look after myself. My mother was okay with this till i became happy and started succeed in what i do. She now wants to force me to study hairdressing which i dont wanna do?

Can she do this and do i have a foot to stand on?

Expert ImageFamily law expert

If you reached the age of 18 you are regarded to have reached maturity and will not be regarded as a minor anymore. Thus, you can make your on choices and your mother will not be able to force you to study something that you don't wish to study.

7
Posted by: G-Dad | 2010-03-03

Nope she can not get your boyfriend arrested for abduption.

Reply to G-Dad
Posted by: Snail | 2010-03-03

Can she in any way tho let my finance be arrested for abduption?

Reply to Snail
Posted by: Family law expert | 2010-03-03

Reply to Family law expert
Posted by: G-Dad | 2010-03-02

Grade 10 is not really a great grade to have in the work market, most places are looking for graduates, try to at least complete grade 12, you can do this part time, it will only benefit you in the long run, most places want at least a senior certificate, you might be happy with your job now, but what if you need to find another job in the future, with grade 10 it will be a battle.

Reply to G-Dad
Posted by: snail | 2010-03-02

No i have Grade ten with three years working experience.

Reply to snail
Posted by: G-Dad | 2010-03-02

Not much your mother can do, no she can not force you, but it is in your best interest to get some qualifications in your life, life as we know is going to be more competitive in the future, this mean only a few will succeed without proper qualifications, the older you get the tougher it will become.
What you tell me is that you have like grade 8 or 9 only, try to at least improve that.

Reply to G-Dad
Posted by: lilly | 2010-03-01

you are on the wrong forum. you are over 18 you can do what is best for you.
good luck

Reply to lilly