Posted by: Anne | 2009-07-28

HELP please

My sister has Psoriasis (Spelling?) and has had it since birth. She' s 29 years old now. She is battling so badly. She has been to a lot of specialists as well, but due to financial issues can' t continue seeing them and not getting any results.
She is so depressed now that she' s not leaving home. Her skin looks like 100' s of scales and forms big sores underneath. She is in so much pain. She has used numerous creams prescribed to her, and nothing is helping. Now since it' s so cold, her skin is 10 times worse. Please could you give us tips or advice as to what she needs to use??

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Anne

Sun-exposure is one of the most important tips I can give - Up to 95% of those with psoriasis find that UV exposure helps.

Here's some more tips.

- Get a coal tar solution from your parmacy. Polytar is one option
- Try taking fish oil capsules
- Weight loss helps many people with psoriasis. If you lose weight and maintain normal weight, the psoriasis is almost always better
- If possible, she should take a break. Any absence from your daily stresses, for any period of time, is helpful

Best of luck!