Posted by: Niks | 2009-01-09

Help please

Please help i am a mother still breatsfeeding and need some tips on losing weight, i am 25 and 1.68m tall i weight 97kg. How much should i be weighing?? I do eat alot of the bad things but i am excersising too.

Dear Niks
Wishing you all the best for 2009. Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Your present BMI = 34,4 which is in the obese range. To get back into the normal range you need to weigh 68 kg (this will give you a BMI of 24). Breastfeeding your baby is one of the most important things you can do for him/her so I would not recommend any drastic diets or excessive exercise while you are busy with this. Stop eating high-fat or sugary foods. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), but add 2 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt to your daily food intake to ensure that you and baby obtain enough calcium for your needs. Keep up the daily exercise, for example take baby in the pram and go for long walks in the fresh air. As you start losing weight and get fitter you can increase how fast and far you walk.
Enjoy the baby!