Question
Posted by: Mommy | 2008/08/21

Help Please

I am not sure what the problem is with my 2 year old son he has been having anger outburst and throwing tantrums now for the past 2 weeks and me and my husband tried everything. We tried talking to him, punishing him (to sit on a chair facing a wall), we also hit him but nothing seems to work this is really driving me crazy he also hits me in the face when I tell him to stop I really do not know what to do anymore, I am really scared that I will get so angry and do something I am not suppose do do.

Dear Mommy
Tantrums in two year olds are quite common! See http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/your_kids/toddlers_tantrums.shtml
It is a phase that they go through where they develop a bit of independancy. If you think that it is abnormally bad, and if his school or other family members complain, you could take him for an evaluation at a child psychologist. I found that ignoring him or sending him to his room to have the tantrum there is quite effective - it is no fun having a tantrum if there is nobody to watch / react!
(just be aware - they do this again at about 14-15 years!!)

2
Posted by: Bambi | 2008/08/21

I agree with what smiley says. You' ve got to find the thing he likes more than anything. The guest room works too(no toys in there) because sometimes the corner does nothing because its still where the family is so they dont feel punished (they hear everything, they see everything, they still have attention). For my 3 year old at terrible two' s it was the room but for my 5 year old, from 1.5years it was the TV. Persevere...it does not last forever but you must discipline and be consistent. Dont be soft but dont punish in anger(if you' re too angry, let hubby handle it).

Reply to Bambi
Posted by: Smiley™  | 2008/08/21

The best advice I can give is to go and get the book " Super Nanny" . It really helps if you follow exactly what they say. I had the same problem.

Putting him on the " naughty"  chair will work but you need to know how to do it. the whole point of putting him there is to ignore him the whole time, do not talk to him, do not look at him but you must only put him there for 1 min per year so in your case he must be there for 2 min. If he gets up you must pick him up, do not look at him or talk to him and put him back. Once his time is up you need to talk to him and tell him why he was put there and that he will be put there again if he does it again.

The book explains it better. but I promise it works

Good Luck

Reply to Smiley&#8482