Posted by: Eta | 2009-02-18

Help pet cope with mates loss

I had 2 dogs: a doberman pincher male (4 yrs) and a jack russel female (3+ years). They got on very well and the doberman was absolutely in love with the jack russel.
Recently the jack russel passed away. How do I help my little doberman deal with the loss? He looks for her every day and is visibly sad.

Dear ETA

Buy a DAP diffuser and some nutricalm tabelts.

Posted by: Eta | 2009-02-24

Yes, I agree with you Kirsten.

Bruno (my dobie) is pretty intelligent and has a great memory, to the point where he' ll recognise/remember people he last saw months ago. He really loved the Jack Russel and was never not at her side.
We not ready for a new puppy yet - it' ll take us a while to ge over Mishka (jack russel) and a new puppy would just demand attention we not emotionally able to give right now.

Mishka died from some kind of illness in her brain which eventually saw her organs shut down. Blood tests showed that there was no parasite or virus, but her white blood cell count was very low. Dr thinks it must' ve been some illness she' s had for some time, although am not convinced as she fell ill and died in exactly 7 days, with no prior symptoms earlier.

Her symptoms were very high fever so the point of convulsing, no appetite and very weak limbs. As I said, all this from zero illness to dead in 7 days.
We miss her..

Reply to Eta
Posted by: kirsten | 2009-02-19

there are other ranges of homeopathic medicines (such as Pet Alive) that could possibly help.

I think Chill may have a point about getting him checked out at the vet before you try anything else - but I have seen dogs pine with the loss of a friend, and I do think that they go through a grieving process too, even if its not the same way we do.

Reply to kirsten
Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-19

Don' t make the mistake of sympathising too much with your Dobie. He' ll cotton on that his behaviour is getting him a load of lovely attention.

Obviously if he stops eating for long, etc, get your vet involved - but really, if you can, I can pretty much guarantee he' ll perk up if you bring him home a new pup/dog to play with.

By the way - you don' t say how the other dog ' passed away'  - hopefully it wasn' t something infectious - but I' m sure you' ve considered that!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Eta | 2009-02-19

I' ve been using the DAP spray since she passed away but my Doberman does not seem to be reacting to it. He doesn' t eat, lies in his bed the whole day (which he shared with the Jack Russel) and doesn' t even want to play with us.

I guess I' ll give him some time and then take him to see a Doggie shrink - he really is grieving the loss..

Reply to Eta
Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-18

And don' t attribute too many human emotions to your dogs. I know it' s sad for both of you, but provided your Dobie has stuff to occupy himself, he' ll be ok. Best of all would be to get him a new buddy!

Reply to Chill