Question
Posted by: Rita | 2009-07-07

Help needed with son

My 29 year old son desperately needs help - I think he is a sociopath. He has a drug problem but when he does not have money does not do it. He cannot keep a job and has just lost another good one. He still lives at home and has no ambition. When he does work and gets money he spends it in about a week. He cannot stay in a relationship and although he can be very charming he can in the next moment be horrible. Like a jekyl and hyde. I know that we should put him out of the house but he has nowhere to go. Can you please let me know who he should see with his problem i.e. psychologist, behaviour therapist or who. I am getting desperate and need help
thanks

Well, if he truly is a sociopath,, he may cause more problems for others, including you, than he experiences himself. Psychopaths / sociopaths can be charming, any time they want to be thus. Maybe he doesn't now have anywhere to go if you put him out of the house, but if he faced a reasonable deadline, and believed that you meant it, he would need to find somewhere to go, and some way to support himself. DO a web search and rewad up on the concepts of Tough Love. This sort of problem is impossible to treat UNLESS and uintil the person himself recognizes that he has a serious problem and that HE has a responsibility to put it right with the appropriate help.
If he was genuinely interested in reforming, a psvchologist would probably be helpful to assess the situation in the first place, and then recommend who within reach might be best able to help him. But without his sincere and determined co-operation, he would be unhelpable