Question
Posted by: snail | 2010-03-01

Help Me Please :(

Hi There,

I need advice. I am over the age of 18 left the house at the age of 15 and started working to earn money to look after myself. My mother was okay with this till i became happy and started succeed in what i do. She now wants to force me to study hairdressing which i dont wanna do?

Can she do this and do i have a foot to stand on?

If you are over the age of 18, your mother can't "force" you to do anything at all, whether or not her idea is a good one or a daft one. It is she who has no foot to stand on. At 18, you are broadly free to be wise or foolish, as you wish. And if you have a job you enjoy and earn enough to support yourself, it makes no sense to pay attention to her insistence that you should do something different which you don['t want to do, and which might not let you support yourself properly.
Gently remind her that you are now legally an adult and self-supporting, and while you will listen to her advice ( but not repeated too often !) , you will make up yopur own mind, as you are entirely entitled to do.

1