Posted by: Lauls | 2009-06-02

Help me please!

Hi Doc. Please help me. I cant lose weight. I am just not losing anything.I am 25 years old. My diet is generally as follows Breakfast oats &  yoghurt or 2 boiled eggs on wholewheat toast with a teeny bit of marg. I have a cup of coffee with low fat milk &  half a spoon of brown sugar. Snacks on avg incl a handful of raw cashew nuts or a jungle berry energy bar  an apple &  banana (2-3 fruits a day) and a small yoghurt (low fat). Lunch I have either a wrap from sumo with chicken &  veg or a make a sandwich with 2 slices wholewheat bread, tomato, lettuce, a little bit of mustard, ham or slice beef &  slices edam cheese. Supper i have either 2 small breasts chicken or 2 small fish &  salad with low fat feta and balsamic. Sometimes I have some brown rice with a little gravy as a treat or I make myself some spagetti bolognaise (once a week as a treat). I have chocolate maybe once a week and maybe 3 nights a week a glass of low fat hot chocolate with no sugar in low fat milk. I dont eat rubbish and am generally very good with my eating. I get very dizzy if I eat any less than this. I go to gym at least 5 days a week which includes cardio, resistence training, yoga and boxing class. I have not lost any weight or centimetres at all. in fact, my clothes are not fitting me any better. I' ve been eating this way for over a year, and I' ve upped the gym from 3 times a week to 5 times a week in the last month. No results whatsoever and i am getting very discouraged. please help me

Dear Lauls
I can't really judge if your weight is already within the normal range or not because you don't list your present height in metres and weight in kg. I your BMI is already 25 or less your body will resist additional weightloss. The diet you describe seems reasonable, but may still be too high in energy to promote weightloss, although the fact that you are doing so much strenuous exercise 5 times a week should use up all those kJ. If your BMI is higher than 25 and you are not losing weight on this regimen, I would recommend that you ask your gp to have hormone tests done (thyroid, insulin and female hormones) because it is possible that you are suffering from hypothyroidism, or insulin resistance (IR) or polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). If your thyroid is underactive the dr will prescribe thyroid hormone therapy. If you suffer from IR which is also associated with PCOS, then the dr may also prescribe treatment and I would urge you to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’.
Finally depression can cause pronounced weight gain and hamper weightloss. So if this should be a problem, please seek assistance from a clinical psychologist.

Posted by: Anonymous1 | 2009-06-02

I do not see anything wrong in your eating, I think maybe is the technique or wrong food for your body(blood type).Try this Breakfast bowl of 2 bioled eggs, 2 cracker bread/provitas, apple and salad, Lunch small steak/fish and salad, supper, fish/steak, 2 provitas, fruit and salad/veg. I think maybe you need to stay awa from milk prod and bread(full of sugar/curbs) Low fat doean' t mean low carbs, check your products and try to consume 5/mg of curbs in milk prod(woolies plain youghurt). Try and eat after at least 4-5 hours. Sometimes when we want to loose weight we focus on FAT and that is not a way to go.

Reply to Anonymous1