Question
Posted by: ghost | 2011-01-11

Help me

I get terrible pain in my eye muscles and neck muscles. There are also cysts in my right eye. My eye and neck muscles pull tight and it feels like a knife is cutting behind my eye. I have been on Ritalin for twenty years and I think this is causing the damage, Thank you.

this has been going on everyday for 6 months and its getting worse. What must I do? Thank you. My right eye also feels like its swelling up and pulling into my skull.

I get a panic attach as i take the ritalin cause i am waiting for it to cause muscle pain or pull my eyes into my skull. I am going through hell and yet Ritalin is the only drug that seems to help me with my ADD. I did not know long term use causes muscle damage. I take them everyday. what is wrong. thank you. The Pain is unbearable. My eye muscles pull behind my eye and it also feels like my eye is being squeezed.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Ghost,
The cysts are unlikely to be the cause of the pain, but they should be attended to – have you had an expert opinion from an ophthalmic surgeon?
It is also unlikely that the Ritalin is causing the problem, and I think we have to look elsewhere. The symptoms you have are most likely the effect of muscle tension in and around the eye, but it is not possible to be certain without examining you. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011-01-13

Dear Ghost,

Reply to Headache expert