Posted by: maggie | 2009-04-09

help is needed

Good day, my husband has been a diabetic for the last 10 years and is 34, the problem is when he comes there is NO sperm. I really want to become pregnant but I am sure the chances are 0.00% if there' s no semen, what can we do?? and if we ever get pregnant what is the chances of our child being born with diabetes?? we live in Nelspruit Mpumalanga.

Dear Maggie

The possibility of retrograde ejaculation should seriously be considered i.e. the sperm may be passing backwards through a defect into the bladder. If this is indeed the case then special techniques can be adapted to obtain the sperm from the bladder following ejaculation and these sperm maybe utilised in an In Vitro Fertilization program and conception can be achieved by this means.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim