Posted by: justamom | 2008-10-30

help for troubled teen

My 16 year old is not performing in school, bunking and has just tested positive for marijuana. Please help me with information to seeking help as he does not want to listen to me.

Expert ImageTeen expert

a good place to start will be with the school counsellor if the school has one. They can advise on the way forward and recommend some psychologists in your area who work well with adolescents. Overall, bear in mind that their behaviour will primarily be about unhappiness and it is that that will need attention.

Posted by: justamom | 2008-11-14

thank you. We have made some grounds since my plea for help. You are right, he is desperately unhappy and part of the problem is me (my constant critique re his school career). We both are committed to work on it and he is in a much happier space. I have lowered my emphasis on academic achievement and am now focusing on his emotional well being. He has also tested negative for the follow-up drug test.

Reply to justamom