Posted by: Theuns Steyn | 2010-01-27

Help, Fleas!!!!!

I have 2 labs, we live in the Lowveld on a hectre stand. It was an old farm. They are suddenly extremely infested with fleas. I am struggling to keep it under control. I' ve tried regular dipping (once a week), washing &  drying bedding (twice a week), spraying their sleeping area, flea powders, etc. I am not too keen to use heavy chemicals (especially on their skins). I would rather use a more natural remedy. Surely there are a few " tricks"  that farmers use on some of their livestock to minimize flea infestations. If not, what type of chemical is safer to use and where can I get it?

Kind regards
Theuns Steyn

Dear Theuns

Use Advantix, capstar and Flego for carpets.

Posted by: steph | 2010-01-30

i have had great success with a combined treatment of capstar to kill all existing fleas on the dog. then advantage of frontline to prevent future infestations. it is imperative that you wash the bedding on the hottest cycle that your washing machine will allow. spray the dogs kennel with frontline spray or any other chemical that your VET approves. keep at it for a while, it does take long to get rid of these infestations :(

Reply to steph
Posted by: george | 2010-01-30

Keep going with the spraing - but you need to kill adult fleas before they lay eggs. Get some Advantage from your Vet and treat all dogs and if you have cats - every 4 weeks for the next 6 months. Also make sure you have no rats around - they are a great source for new fleas.

Reply to george