Question
Posted by: Mary | 2010-01-26

Help Dad Gain Weight

Hi Doc, Pls help me my Dad is 62 and has always been really thin he really wants to gain weight, he has a very healthy appetite and does eat alot and constantly but doesnt ever gain weight. He eats everything i wouldnt say he eats unheathly but he does like his snacks. He has tested his sugar for diabetes but he is fine. I did read somewhere about a product that Nestle has to help gain weight but i mislayed the name somehow.
Pls can u recommend something that wont have side effects but will be efficient in helping him gain weight.
Its my sisters wedding soon and he wants to look his best.
Thanks Mary.

Dear Mary
Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your Dad's energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your Dad's need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically he needs to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much he eats at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to his regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If your Dad uses a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then he should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.
Hope you all have a lovely wedding

2
Posted by: T | 2010-01-27

Have you been to a GP to check the reason why your dad is not gaining weight? Is your dad highly energetic?

My friend was in a similar situation and the doctor found that his metabolism burns food 30times faster than a normal human beings metabolism. They have put him in some kind of medication and he is starting to gain weight and look healthy.

Hope this helps!

Reply to T
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-01-27

Dear Mary
Hope you all have a lovely wedding