Question
Posted by: Andrew | 2010/04/12

Help &  Advice

Hello

I need some advice &  help please.

I had major surgery which I received pre-authorisation from my medical aid as per the surgeons quote. Upon receipt of final invoice the surgeons charges were much hiogher than the quote, and medical aid did not agree to pay the higher fees which left me about R20 000 short, to pay out of my own pocket.

I have been paying the doctor back in small monthly installments. The doctor has now handed my account over to a debt collection agency who now want to charge me interest on this amount, which I am obviously not happy to pay.

Is the doctor allowed to hand my account over, and are they allowed to charge interest on the outstanding amount?

Expert ImageFamily law expert

If the surgeon gave you a quote, which you accepted at the time, a contract came into existence. If the surgeon charged beyond to what was agreed to you may dispute the claim and defend same on the basis of breach of contract. I suggest that you consult an attorney. One issue that may be to your detriment is that you have made payments on the overcharged amount, which may be construed as an acceptance.

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2010/04/15

Reply to family law expert