Posted by: Mel08 | 2009-07-28

I weigh 131kg. 1.56m, 31 year old female. I started to work out about a week back, I do 20mins on the treadmill (3.5 - 4.5 KMH, 15 mins on a stationary bike and 5 mins on a mini stepper every day so far but might cut down to 5 times a week.

I am counting calories as close to as I can and read the labels more carefully. I have Nutrifix or Corn Flakes for breakfast then a fruit as a snack I' ll have crackers and cheese or tuna for lunch a fruit or a USN Diet Fuel shake as a snack and meat and veg or fish for supper.

Is what I am doing suffiecient to loose weight? I am finding it very difficult to keep up with the targets I have set for time and am out of breath within 5 mins of walking. What more can I do to assist. Does speed matter or can I keep the speed down but walk for longer till my body gets used to it?

Hi Mel

There are no guarantees and no definite answers, so it's impossible to say. It's a start, the first step of many in the right direction and so you should be pleased so far.

With respect to diet, I think you need to consider seeing a dietician, because your diet doesn't sound particularly sustainable, and that's very important. The Supplement is probably not needed and you should discuss with a dietician how you might change this to help your weight loss goals.

In terms of exercise, remember that you are starting out and so there is nothing wrong with 4 or 5 days a week. Give your body a chance to get used to training, don't force it and it will improve over time. So 5 days a week is great. The problem of running out of breath is also common when you're starting out - all it means is that you are not quite fit enough for the speed you're walking. What you then need to do is drop the speed a small amount, and rather hit those targets - not too much, mind you, because you need to 'stress' the body in order for it to adapt. So you want to finish training feeling tired but not exhausted. But I think if you cut down on the speed, and finish the 20 minutes, then you'll be achieving a great deal. Try not to worry too mucha bout the numbers, but be guided by how your body feels and listen carefully to it!

Other than this, just keep it up. Focus on fitness, not the scale, because you'll find that your fitness improves before your weight falls. But fitness is key, you need to improve it because everything else follows on from it.