Question
Posted by: 94.7 | 2008/09/03

Help 2.5 months left

I have been registered by my company to do the 94.7. I have 2.5 months to get in shape, what advice can you give me to be able to complete the race and not look like a fool infront of my collegues? I can go the spinning classes at gym and cycle on weekends?

Difficult one - I don't know how well that spinning has worked to prepare you. You obviously have been doing some cycling, but I don't know what level you have reached as a result. You would need to decide on a goal from the race - are you aiming for a finish in under 4 hours, or something around 5 hours? That provides the start point and then you can easily assess how fit you are now and how fit you need to get to reach this goal.

For example, if your target is 4:30, and you currently cycle 50km on the weekend in 2 hours, then you're more than on course. All you need to do is increase the weekend distance, so that over the course of the next 6 weeks, you add maybe 5 to 10 km per week. Eventually, about 3 weeks before the race, your training ride will be around 80 to 90km and you'll be more than ready to take on the race.

So just be systematic, and work out where you are now, where you need to get to and how you are going to go about it.