Posted by: Alice | 2012-08-08

My small baby is suffering from sticky eye (yellow mucus), he was born prematurely I don''t know if this has anything to do with it. The sticky eye started when he was still in the nicu.
The paed prescribed something that was applied for 5 days then it cleared, a week later it started again and the Dr prescribed a different eye drop called ciloxan to be applied 5 days also. it cleared.
Now it''s after a week again and it has started again, I don''t know what to do. he is 6 weeks old

I suggest that you reconsult your paediatrician for an examination. He might need an extended course of eye ointment to clear the infection. It is however, possible that his immune system is compromised, due to being born premature. The paediatrician can do blood tests to determine if there is anything to be concerned about. It is important for the eye infection to be treated adequately, to prevent complications, like blindness.