Posted by: R | 2012-07-20

I had a premature baby boy about 3 weeks ago I was about 33 weeks. he spent the past 3 weeks in NICU
When he was 1st admitted he had drips, One was on the belly button but it was removed after a couple of days. Now he is discharged but i''ve noticed that the dry amblical cord is out and there is a whitish wet spot where it was,
What is really worrying me is the belly button than seems to be protruding outwardly, I asked the nurse who was discharging him and she said I must not worry, I must put a coin(5 cent, or 50 cent) on the belly button and push it inward it will be flat as days goes by.
Can you please confirm if this is safe? is it the drip that made it to protrude?

It is not the drip that caused his belly button to protrude. He has an umbilical hernia, which is very common and will most likely resolve by itself. You do not have to do anything, unless the hernia increases dramatically or persists after four years of age.